Sunday, July 17, 2011

Run, Chris, Run

4 July 2011


Dear Anne,


“Simon, son of John, do you love me?”

Peter was distressed that he had said to him a third time,

“Do you love me?” and he said to him,

“Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.”

Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep.” –John’s Gospel, Chapter 21


Time is up! This Independence Day freedom means more to me than ever. Now I know the privilege of everyday ordinary citizenship in a whole new way. Unlike most ex-offenders with whom I have served time in federal custody, I resume my status as a full fledged citizen. I retain my access to the mainstream of the American work-force and with my right to vote intact may still effectively influence elected officials. Meanwhile ex-offenders with felonies have no such privileges.


For my birthday I completed a ten-month certificate program to become a Pace e Bene agent for non-violent change. The final workshop was based on Bill Moyer’s Doing Democracy introducing his eight-stage model of social movements. I learned that in every movement people are called to participate in four key roles: the rebel, the citizen, the reformer, and the change agent. As we use are gifts and talents to chose the role that’s right for each of us, we’re called to make effective contributions. Finally, all roles are welcome!


His analysis explains my transition within the movement to close the U.S. Army School of the Americas. My role as a rebel has come to an end. Next I reclaim the responsibilities of an active citizen. I am grateful to my extended community for helping me through prayer to be an effective rebel or prisoner of conscience. The protection God has given me as I’ve served my time is only explained by such community prayer.


As a citizen deeply concerned about the SOA/WHINSEC I am choosing to support the movement as a fundraiser.


I’m really nervous! But Anne, I value the tradition of Christian almsgiving and I want to inspire that Christian virtue in others. So, now as I transition from the prophetic role to active member of the Church, I still get to be a leaven for the common good.


How? By running a marathon! Since I arrived at the Salvation Army Correction halfway house, I received church passes to attend Old St. Patrick’s Church. There I accepted an invitation to get involved on the Chicago marathon charity team. Friends know this is my third marathon, and my first fundraising effort. To be honest I just wanted to run the marathon for fun. I know, God has given me the gift of doing the strangest things for fun: Civil Disobedience and marathons, some idea of fun.


Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment